Re: UK histo work

From:"P. Emry"

Is there any way around this for, say, us older folks?  I would like to
work part-time in the UK after retirement.  Any cultural exchange
things...I could teach "American".  (Friend of mine taught English in
Japan for a year and loved it.)


On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Aidan Schurr wrote:

> What an interesting (if slightly OT) thread...  I am in the lucky position of having had an English Grandfather, which qualifies me for something called "Patriality".  Basically entitles me to a three year work visa (as long as I apply before I am 28 - better get a move on!!), but more importantly entitles me to work in the field in which I am trained, something the 2 year "standard" visa does not allow.  New Zealand is still recognised as a British colony, so they look after us!!!
> Cheers,
> Aidan
> __
> aidan schurr
> section head, histology
> hutt valley district health board
> lower hutt
> new zealand
> ++64 4 570 9173 (direct)
> ++64 4 570 9214 (fax)
> >>> Bebhinn Treanor  21/06/2002 >>>
> Just to clarify-members of Commonwealth countries do not have unlimited
> working rights in other Commonwealth countries.  Most Commonwealth
> countries offer a working holiday visa to members of other Commonwealth
> countries which is valid for usually 2 years and only allows part-time
> employment.  In addition, these visas are usually only available to people
> under the age of 26.
> Obtaining a work visa is extremely difficult (at least from the UK) for
> members of other Commonwealth countries (or any other country for that
> matter).  In order to get a work, the company in Britain must prove that
> there is no British citizen able to do the job.
> Bebhinn
> (A Canadian living in the UK)
> University College London
> At 09:09 20/06/2002 -0600, rueggp wrote:
> >Patsy, while your comments are valid for a person from the US to try to
> >work
> >in the UK you might be interested to know that the Commonwealth
> >countries
> >have work agreements that allow people from member countries to work in
> >other Commonwealth countries. Their education systems and work
> >requirements
> >are similar so they all travel around working their way around the
> >world. In
> >fact, for someone like Aidan from New Zealand, it is fully expected that
> >
> >they will go to other countries to work. The call the Big OE, or
> >Overseas
> >Experience. You would be surprised at how many of these techs have
> >worked in
> >places all over the world.
> >
> >Tim Morken
> >Atlanta
> Bebhinn Treanor
> Research Technician
> Department of Anatomy and Developmental Biology
> University College London
> Gower Street, London
> WC1E 6BT
> phone: 020 7679 3904
> fax: 020 7679 7316
> email:

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>