We've used this protocol in the past with some success on 15Ám ground MMA sections. It was adapted from a Nottingham University method. As usual, you may need to tweak the times to suit your sections.
Smith &Nephew Research Centre
York Science Park
* Ponceau/Acid Fuchsin Stock Solution:
1.5 g - Ponceau 2R.
0.5 g Acid Fuchsin.
2 ml Acetic Acid (glacial).
98 ml Distilled Water.
* Azophloxine Stock Solution:
0.5 g Acid Red 1.
0.6 ml Acetic Acid (glacial).
99.4ml Distilled Water.
* Ponceau Working Solution:
12ml Ponceau/Acid Fuchsin Stock Solution.
8ml Azophloxine Stock Solution.
80 ml 0.2% Acetic Acid.
* Orange G Solution:
1 g Orange G.
1.5g Phosphomolybdic Acid.
250 ml Distilled Water.
* Light Green Solution:
1 g Light Green (Yellowish).
1 ml Acetic Acid (glacial).
500 ml Distilled Water.
1) Slides in distilled water for 15 minutes.
2) Stain in Weigert's Haematoxylin for 30 minutes.
3) Wash in running tap water for 2 minutes.
4) Differentiate in 0.5% acid alcohol (30 seconds).
5) Wash in water for 20 minutes.
6) Stain in Ponceau Working Solution for 5 minutes.
7) Rinse in 1% Acetic Acid for 15 seconds.
8) Stain in Orange G Solution for 20 minutes.
9) Rinse in 1% Acetic Acid for 10 seconds.
10) Stain in Light Green Solution for 20 minutes.
11) Rinse in water.
12) Blot dry.
Nuclei = blue/black.
Mineralised bone = green.
Muscle = green.
Osteoid = red.
Collagen = red.
From: firstname.lastname@example.org [mailto:email@example.com] On Behalf Of firstname.lastname@example.org
Sent: 27 February 2008 18:05
Subject: Histonet Digest, Vol 51, Issue 40
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:19:52 -0500
Subject: [Histonet] goldners trichrome
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
I was asked to do a Goldners Trichrome in Methymethacylate embedded bone .
Do you have a good protocol for this or do you know where I could find one.
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Eatontown, NJ 07724
(732) 542-2800 X6328
This electronic transmission is strictly confidential to Smith & Nephew and intended solely for the addressee. It may contain information which is covered by legal, professional or other privilege. If you are not the intended addressee, or someone authorised by the intended addressee to receive transmissions on behalf of the addressee, you must not retain, disclose in any form, copy or take any action in reliance on this transmission. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender as soon as possible and destroy this message.
Smith & Nephew UK Limited
Registered in England and Wales No.4421171 with registered office at 15 Adam Street, London WC2N 6LA
Histonet mailing list