Re: sleep depravation

Trisha Emry writes:

>>I am having a very difficult time with sleep. I get restless to the extreme 
and can't stop tossing and turning. I use a bipap machine, but this developed 
long after I got it. What kind of doctor would one consult for this? Sleep 
Disorder Clinics are in the Pulmonary Department. With my bipap, pulmonary is 
not the problem.<<

Sleap apnea affects at least 2% of people, including my wife, who has had 
marvelous results with a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure - bipap is 
a fancier version) machine for about two years now. 

Our experience has been that there are a lot of incompetents and quick-buck 
artists in this rapidly growing field, and it's really difficult to find a 
good sleep lab. My wife probably won't go back to the one she got her CPAP 
from - her internist keeps up with the problem meanwhile. But I would advise 
getting expert advice, and be prepared to be unhappy with at least one lab.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>