FW: Fires in Histology Laboratories

From:"Ito, James"

As stated by Andy Shand, the explosion was caused be ether being ignited in a fridge which was not spark-proof.  The incident was caused when a rat was sacrificed by by overdosing with ether vapour.  The rat was then placed in the fridge, the explosion occurred and the rat was blasted through the laboratory window and impacted on a parked car.  It happened in the lab adjacent to mine and as no-one was hurt caused some amusement.  It also caused us to be very careful in what we store in ordinary fridges and also to purchase some sparkproof fridges and freezers.
Jim Ito
Senior Chief MLSO 
Pathology Department 
Royal Hospital for Sick Children 
Glasgow G3 8SJ 

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Shand [mailto:Andrew.Shand@north-bristol.swest.nhs.uk]
Sent: 31 March 2003 08:16
To: histonet@pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: RE: Fires in Histology Laboratories

Some years ago a British lab had an explosion. It was caused by ether being ignited in a fridge.  Unfortunately I cannot remember any details.  Somebody out there in histoland will I'm sure.
Andy Shand 

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Wells [mailto:tomers@shaw.ca]
Sent: 28 March 2003 17:16
To: histonet@pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: Fires in Histology Laboratories

Is anyone aware of a significant fire occurring in a Histology laboratory? I am looking at safety in histology labs and specifically fire prevention. Thanks. Tom
Tom Wells
Supervisor, Immunohistochemistry
Lions Gate Hospital
North Vancouver, BC, Canada.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.


<< Previous Message | Next Message >>