RE: SILVER STAIN PROBLEMS
Have you considered doing a Sevier-Munger instead. It is a slighty less cumbersome stain.
From: "Timothy R. Wheelock"
Sent: Monday, June 30, 2003 3:46 PM
Subject: SILVER STAIN PROBLEMS
I have been using the Bielschowsky silver stain since 1986 on human
brain tissue to screen for Alzheimer's, Picks, and other diseases.
It always worked.
Never had a problem.
Until about a year ago.
Normally one sees a nice yellow brown macroscopic color, and clear
senile plaques, tangles, and dystrophic neurites microscopically.
Now, though, macroscopically, there was a greyish greenish tinge to the
sections, streaking of brown color across the section, with brown and
clear bands, while microscopically, there was light staining or lack of
almost all staining.
Stranger still, was the fact that not all the cases turned out this way:
some cases stained fine while others did not.
Sometimes, whole batches of slides would come out perfectly, and the
next whole batch would be awful and have to be redone.
Sometimes, cases in the same coplin jar would stain differently.
So, I began to systematically check things out:
I checked my distilled water supply (that was OK)
started changing my nitric acid bath regularly (never needed to
before just topping off was fine)
bought all new reagents for my developer (formalin, citric acid, nitric
called Fisher to see if they had changed the 10% buffered formalin we
use to fixed our brains (no).
became much more fastidious about washing and rinsing the
glasswear.(never had to before)
Made fresh silver nitrate every time, in new acid cleaned flasks
(never had to do that before either)
Eventually, the stains came back to almost normal.
But not completely normal.
It still seemed that there was a slight grayish tinge to the slides even
when they did work well enough for both diagnostic purposes and imaging
for our web site image archive.
But I noticed the other day that one or two cases seemed faint,
especially given the fact that they had an intake diagnosis of AD.
Our pathologist came in and complained about the stain, so I decided to
try some other approaches:
1 ask for advice from people (always a good idea)
2 buy new glassware to see if that produces a change, although I doubt
this will help.
3 try varying the number of drops of the developer that I put into the
ammonical silver solution (but why should this be connected to these
weird effects I have experienced, when the same number of drops have
4 perhaps this may not be a silver stain problem per se....I should ask
the pathologist if he has noticed changes with the other stains (LHE and
Congo Red) although I do not see any and he has not complained about
them. If it were a more general problem, maybe the LHE's would be
slightly altered, but not enough to make a difference, while the much
more sensitive silver stain would show major changes. In this case,
maybe I should get my tissue processor checked out again. ( I think this
is a wild conjecture..the answer is probably much simpler.)
Frankly, I do not know what is going on.
This should be a very straight foreword, simple stain to do. Just keep
you glassware clean, and your developer made up properly, and that is it.
Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate them.
Harvard Brain Tissue Resource Center (Brain Bank)
Any information, including protected health information (PHI), transmitted in this email is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and or exempt from disclosure under applicable Federal or State law. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking of any action in reliance upon, protected health information (PHI) by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this email in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.
<< Previous Message | Next Message >>