denatured alcohol reply

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>
From:Gayle Callis <> (by way of histonet)
To:histonet <>
Content-Type:text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Alcohol labelled as "Reagent alcohol" is a denatured alcohol.  You may want
to dig around in some MSDS sheets for your "denatured alcohol" and ask
for or call technical services at Fisher to find out what their Reagent
alcohol contains.   If you get lucky, the container actually tells you what
is in these alcohols, often a mixture of methanol, ethyl alcohol, and
maybe some isopropyl, or maybe someone will be able to give the info
via H'net so you can compare and use if it is comparable to "reagent

I know people who use Reagent alcohol in processing and staining.  I would
avoid using it for dissolving dyes that are listed as 1% eosin Y in alcohol,
learned years ago this meant ethyl alcohol, when the dye did not go into

Happy New Year
Gayle Callis

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>