Re: [Histonet] Warthin Starey
We use the following method with good results though the Steiner is used more often some of our pathologists prefer the Warthin-Starry.
1% Silver Nitrate
2% Silver Nitrate
5% Gelatin (use gentle heat to mix)
All of the above are stored at 2-8 degrees Celsius for up to 6 months.
!. Preheat a coplin jar with 1% silver nitrate in a 54-60 degree water bath for 30 minutes. Place your gelatin bottle in the water bath at the same time.
2. Deparaffinize and hydrate slides to distilled water
3. Place slides in the preheated 1% Silver Nitrate and incubate for 30 minutes in a 54-60 degree water bath. At the same time place a vial of 1.5 mls of 2% silver nitrate, a vial of 3.75 5% gelatin, and a vial of 2 mls of 0.15% hydroquinone into the 54-60 degree waterbath to preheat.for 30 minutes.
4. Prepare the developer solution by mixing the solutions in the following order. 1.5 mls of 2% silver Nitrate
3.75mls of 5 % gelatin and 2.0 mls of 0.15% hydroquinone
5. Remove slides from heated silver (DO NOT RINSE) Place slides horizontally on a paper towel and cover with developer. Allow sections to develop until they are a light golden brown. Check microscopically for end point
6. Rinse thoroughly in hot tap water
7. Dehydrate, clear and mount
Medical University of SC
>>> "Blachford, Sarah - Histopath Main" 09/02/04 05:27AM >>>
Can anyone help us.
Has anyone got a reliable warthin starey method. We have tried many methods
but cannot get them to work.
Also what is the use of gelatin in the method
Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust
Cliftonville, Northampton NN1 5BD
This e-mail may contain confidential information and/or copyright material
and is intended for the use of the addressee only. Any unauthorised use
may be unlawful. The contents of this e-mail may be subject to public
disclosure under the NHS Code of Openness or the Freedom of Information Act
2000. Unless legally exempt, the confidentiality of the message and your
reply cannot be guaranteed. If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please
advise the sender immediately.
Histonet mailing list
Histonet mailing list
<< Previous Message | Next Message >>