RE: [Histonet] Mucin overstained with Hematoxylin in G.I. specimens

From:"Kemlo Rogerson"

I found that when haematoxylin was 'old' I used to have that problem; I
made my own 'Gill 3' variant and knew when the stain was 'going off'
when mucin started to stain; the cure was a new batch of 'Gill's'. I'm
assuming that the haematin oxidises to oxyhaematin and maybe this stains
in a different way to its reduced brother. Your differentiation time
seems rather short for Gill's 3 but even then, longer differentiation
rarely eradicates the problem. The change of haematoxylin by Rene sort
of suggests that it's a problem with that make/ or batch and obtaining
another make or batch has solved the problem without solving the
problem, if you see what I mean.

Kemlo Rogerson
Pathology Manager
DD   01934 647057 or extension 3311
Mob 07749 754194; Pager 07659 597107;
No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible. --George Burns 

This e-mail is confidential and privileged. If you are not the intended
recipient please accept my apologies; please do not disclose, copy or
distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on
its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it.
Thank you for your co-operation

Histonet mailing list

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>