RE: [Histonet] RE: QIHC change

From:"Rittman, Barry R"

In the states the major problem seems to me to be that individual
organizations here are somewhat too rigid in their requirements and in
many instances are unable or unwilling to equate qualifications from
outside the USA with USA qualifications.
This is not just in Histotechnology but in many other professions. 
While in some areas the education here may be better, in others it is
not of such a high quality as may be found for example in the UK. In
those cases it would behoove those organizations to be less introverted
and a lot more flexible in their administration of rules and
In Texas many of us have the attitude that rules are guidelines and not
rigidly set in stone.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 12:27 PM
To: Pamela Marcum; Morken, Tim - Labvision;
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: QIHC change

I agree with Pam that the ASCP needs to update on several things. I was
qualified to take the QIHC, which I did and passed, but I'm sure Jamie
can run circles around me since he has overall a whole lot more

I ran into a similar problem; being educated in Switzerland, where I got
a degree as a laboratory technician in biology, according to the ASCP I

cannot take the HTL just because my degree is not equivalent to a BS
from the US. I went to a technical school, which doesn't qualify, but
I've been trained specifically for being a laboratory technician in
histology and microbiology.

I can fully understand Jamie's frustration!

Beatrice DeBrosse-Serra
Allergan, Inc.
2525 Dupont Drive RD-2A
Irvine, CA 92612

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Pamela
Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 9:56 AM
To: Morken, Tim - Labvision;
Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: QIHC change

Hi Tim and Jamie,

I know Jamie and have for many years and you are right anyone would be 
happy to hire him for his experience in clinical or his current research

position.  However, it is also true that now research positions are
asking for at least an HT or even HTL (ASCP) to fill position with 
histology as the main focus.  Yet we are given a set of criteria for
that often excludes animal research applicants from completing the 
practical easily.  I took my HT many years ago and I was told that even
a research position (and I had a BS at the time) it would improve my
and increase me to higher level in the university if I got my HT.  I was

told not to use animal tissue (1976) as no one reading the exam could 
properly read them.  Now we have veterinary person there and tissue 
requirements can still eliminate some people or make it almost
to complete the practical with out help in procurement.  Why should that

happen to some one attempting to improve their position within the 
histology community?

My real problem with what you said about the QIHC is that I would also
to take it and can not qualify either.  Yet those of us in research are 
often finding the very antibodies and test methods companies and 
diagnostics later fight to get or learn.  We are exempt in your mind and

ASCP's even though research is what you depend on often for advances.  I

have never and will never understand this logic and exempt status for
of us  who chose not to be clinical.  We are still often required to
or get ASCP status as a way to advance and prove we know our field.
needs to get up to date on the fields it is registering or make new 
categories for those of still contribute to clinical advances every

Sorry if sounds like I am picking on you Tim.   I just don't see how we
required to be registered on one hand for acceptance (even NSH likes to
it) and discounted on the other.

Pam Marcum
UPENN Vet School
New Bolton Center
Kennett Square, PA 19384

At 12:07 PM 11/16/2005, Morken, Tim - Labvision wrote:
>Jamie, It seems from what you say that you are working in a research
lab. Is
>that correct? My understanding about the ASCP certification is that it
>aimed at providing a modicum of proof that a person is qualified to
work in
>a medical diagnostic lab. Research labs are not  considered diagnostic
>As you imply, a person in a research lab will often work on only a
>sample set. Therefore, it is meaningless to apply the the ASCP standard
>research people.
>  If you are planning to move into the diagnostic field, then I'll bet
>could easily find a job in a diagnostic lab, get the experience, and
>to take the test. It may be that some diagnostic labs have a suggested
>requirement to be ASCP certified as a QIHC, but the vast majority would
>happy to find someone with the experience you outline, even if they had
>previously worked in a diagnositc lab.
>Tim Morken
>Lab Vision - Neomarkers
>Free webhosting for US State Histotechnology Societies:
>-----Original Message-----
>[] On Behalf Of James
>Sent: Wednesday, November 16, 2005 7:28 AM
>Subject: RE: [Histonet] RE: QIHC change
>This is my point.  With the requirements listed below someone with 25
>of experience doing immuno (single, double, triple antibody staining,
>own antibodies, and in situ Hybridization: all with and without using
>all with and without using an automated stainer) is not qualified for
>certification if they work in a research facility where
immunophenotyping is
>not done. There is no system of doing it on your own to prove that you
>the capability to do immunophenotyping in order to fullfil this
>I guess it is time to start harrassing ASCP about the unfairness of
> >From almost always sunny San Diego
>         -----Original Message-----
>         From: on behalf of
>         Sent: Wed 11/16/2005 5:55 AM
>         To:
>         Cc:
>         Subject: [Histonet] RE: QIHC change
>         James, to qualify for the qualification you take the 50
>         and submit an employer reference form + of course satisfy one
of the
>         three routes.  There is no practical to submit anymore.  I
>that is
>         what you are asking.  It seems to me that it wouldn't matter
>         specificity antigens/markers or what diseases or human cells.
>         no requirement other than what is requested on the employer
>         form which you can't see the details until you order and
>         packet. Is it possible for anyone to post a copy of the
>         reference form.  From the ASCP website this is what it says "
>         Qualification in Immunohistochemistry
>         Experience requirements
>         Applicants must have experience in the following areas
>             * Immunohistochemical and Immunofluorescence Preparation
>               All of the following should have been performed by the
>                   o staining technique
>                   o selection of proper control material
>                   o titration of immunologic reagents
>             * Immunophenotyping
>               in at least one of the following applications
>                   o immunodeficiencies
>                   o immunoproliferative disorders (neoplastic and
>         disorders)
>                   o transplantation biopsies
>                   o other immunophenotyping applications
>                     please specify: ______________________
>             * Quality Assurance
>               The applicant should have participated in Quality
>         related to all of the following
>                   o specimen fixation, processing, microtomy
>                   o reagent selection, preparation, storage, disposal
>                   o method selection, validation, documentation
>                   o quality control
>                   o safety
>         "  This is the experience which I am assuming is only
documented for
>         ASCP through the employer reference form, hence if you only do
A and
>         and not B you can't qualify unless your employer is dishonest
on the
>         form. Because even if you crosstrain into what I assume is
>         cytometry but don't actually work it day to day as part of
your job
>         do not qualify because you have not had experience doing it
for a
>         minimun of 12 months.  As for research, same thing if you do
all of
>         every day then your good to go.  If not it is a grey or is it
>         that I'm looking more information/details on.  In the past you
>         qualified your work with different immuno stains as a
practical , I
>         don't remember there being a flow requirement.  Maybe I'm
wrong but
>         anyone have this info I'm looking for.
>         G Hurlburt HT(ASCP)
>         sunny and warm NC
>         _______________________________________________
>         Histonet mailing list
>Histonet mailing list

Histonet mailing list

Histonet mailing list

Histonet mailing list

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>