Re: [Histonet] CEU's
California has no requirements for Histotechnicians for certifica tion or continuing education.
-----firstname.lastname@example.org.= edu wrote: -----
To: , From:
Sent by: email@example.com= tsouthwestern.edu
Date: 11/04/2004 06:15PM
Subject: Re: [Histonet] CE= U's
Multiple faceted question. I'll = try to answer it as best as I
1.There is NO national requiremen= t to have CEU to continue to
histology (or cytology or med tech,= etc.). Most states have NO
(Florida and maybe Califo= rnia are exceptions).
2. Hospitals or your place of employment or ev= en you lab itself
can set any
requirement they want, including no requir= ement.
3. ASCP has a new requirement for all people passing a certif ication exam
after Jan. 1, 2004. Previously, it was - once certified = certified for
life. Now there is a Certification Maintenance Program. (= CMP)
Now, if you want to maintain y= our certification status through
must have 36 points of contin= uing education every 3 year, submit
a form with
this information along w= ith a renewal fee (currently $50).
such as CEU forms are n= ot required, unless you are one of the
picked to be audited. Of= the 36 points, for HT/HTL, 1 point must
safety, 2 points in your = area of specialty (i.e.,
histotechnology) and the
rest of the points can= be in your area of specialty, management,
or any related lab= area of interest.
Points can be awarded for many types of CE, and e= ach type can be
different number of points.
- 1= hour workshop = 1 point
- 1 hour teleconference = 1 point
- 1 se= mester hour of college = 15 points
- competency assessment by your emp= loyer = 2 points per year
- authoring an article in a peer reviewed jo= urnal (such as NSH
Histotechnology or ASCP Laboratory Medicin= e) = 5 points.
4. Ways to get CE:
Check in the ASCP CMP pac= ket (see above link, click on right
side). Page 6
has lots of suggestion= s.
- attending state meetings
- attending national meetings
- = in-services held at your institution
- teleconferences (available throug= h NSH (301-262-6221) and ASCP
- college classes (relat= ed to labs)
- safety classes at your institution
- competency assessm= ent
- present at state and national meetings
- write articles for his= totechnology journals
- attend vendor workshops
36 points in 3 ye= ars really isn't a lot to have to get. And you
to spend a lot= of money. In-services are free - just make certain
documentati= on (i.e. sign in sheet). Most places have you do
safety quizzes -
fire, = electrical, blood borne pathogens, etc. They would count.
Peggy A. W= enk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 5:39 PM
Subjec= t: [Histonet] CEU's
> Does anyone know where you can ge= t CEU credits for histology?
> obligated to have so man= y a year? And if so, how many?? I
&g= t; information written anywhere.
> ______ ______________________ 5F__= ________________
> Histonet mailing l= ist
> http://li= sts.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
___ ______________________ 5F__= ___________________
Histonet maili= ng list
Histonet mailing list
<< Previous Message | Next Message >>