how not to store isopentane...
all of you who have sent kind thoughts in my direction. Since more than a few of
you have asked, here's the story.
a time, we were participating in a tissue harvest with a collaborator. She took
muscles and we took bones. We finished the harvest for the day and set up for
the following day's harvests. Unbeknownst to me or my boss, the collaborator
placed her isopentane into our regular old -20 oC freezer (rather than the
sparkless one in our other lab). Sometime in the morning (the fire chief says
about 4:00 am) the compressor in the freezer came on with a spark and ignited
the isopentane vapours that had filled the freezer space. The resulting
explosion blew the door off the freezer, sailing it ten feet across the lab. The
fire totally consumed the freezer interior contents before seeking further
fodder in the interior spaces of the lab including the ceiling and all the
wiring there. Luckily the fire department response time was short, less
than five minutes after the alarm signal, but the damage was total. Pictures are
available. We are still displaced but trying to carry on.
again for all the kind words, Donna Montague
<< Previous Message | Next Message >>