RE: Reference lab

From:"Weems, Joyce"

tia - thanks in advance - but transient ischemic attack sounds better, I

> -----Original Message-----
> From: []
> Sent:	Monday, November 26, 2001 5:40 PM
> To:
> Subject:	Re: Reference lab
> Noreen Gilman asks:
> >>I need to get a copper stain on ffpe tissue. Does anyone know what 
> reference lab does this? This is a request from the clinician and we feel 
> obligated to fulfill his request.<<
> What's "ffpe tissue"? - Be careful of abbreviations on Histonet - they 
> frequently baffle people! Folks on Histonet are from all over the world,
> and 
> do many different kinds of histology. (I did catch "TIA" - not "Transient 
> Ischemic Attack" I suppose!)
> If this is liver tissue from a patient being worked up for Wilson's
> disease 
> or another disorder of copper metabolism, then you need to get a
> quantitative 
> copper determination done on the paraffin block, not a stain. The only 
> reference lab I know of that offers this test is Mayo Medical
> Laboratories. 
> They offer tests for tissue levels of several metals, mostly commonly
> iron, 
> also aluminum.
> Bob Richmond
> Samurai Pathologist
> Knoxville TN

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>