[Histonet] Retic nomenclature

From:"Lance Erickson"

OK Here is a little question I have run across while revising my Retic
procedure. I had named the procedure like the original paper written by
Gordon & Sweets (Gordon, H. & Sweets, H. H. A simple method for the
silver impregnation of reticulum American Journal of Pathology 1936).
The pathologist here that reviews the procedures said she had never
heard it called reticulum and wanted me to change it to reticulin. I
still am in a grey area with what it should be called. The medical
dictionary says that "reticulin" is the name given to the chemical
substance of reticular fibers. It also says that "reticular" means
relating to a reticulum. "Reticulum" means a fine network formed by
cells or formed by certain structures within cells. From this I would
say that naming the procedure "Gordon & Sweets Reticulum Stain" would be
correct. Further could you say "This stain demonstates reticulin" or
should you say "The reticular fibers in this stain demonstate the
reticulin of this portion of this tissue's reticulum" This is my Friday
question for you histonetters. Can anyone clear this up for me?

P.S. The dictionary also said that reticular fibers are now associated
with collagen and are not as distinct as once thought and are now
regarded as type III collagen. Should I just change the name to "Gordon
& Sweets Type III Collagen Stain"????? 
I realized this has hints of sarcasm but I really do want to know the
correct nomenclature.

Lance Erickson
Anatomic Pathology Supervisor
Primary Children's Medical Center
100 N Medical Dr
Salt Lake City, UT 84113-1100
(801) 588-3110
fax (801) 588-3169

Histonet mailing list

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>