RE: Picric Acid


Sorry,  It was the only place in town that they could safely do it.  They did it in a back corner where no one was buried and no one complained.  The picric acid was found in an old supply cabinet and had completely dried out.  I guess most people felt it was better to blow it up in the cemetery where no one could get hurt than risk killing someone.  Sorry you were so offended but the acid was permanently disposed of without environmental damage or risks of it forming a more hazardous substance.  I assure you, no body living or dead, was hurt in the process.
-----Original Message-----
From: MaryLou []
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 9:00 AM
To: Charles.Embrey
Subject: RE: Picric Acid

I find that extremely disrespectful.

At 08:25 AM 5/10/2002 -0500, you wrote:
The fire dept took ours out to an old cemetery and blew it up.  Permanent neutralization.
-----Original Message-----
From: Valerie Hannen []
Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2002 10:49 PM
Subject: Picric Acid

Hi fellow histonetters,
Does anyone know a way of neutralizing picric acid crystals? I know adding water will make it no longer a explosion hazard...but our lab safety officer seems to think
that there is a way of actually neutralizing.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>