Thanks very much for the good advice re improving my bone marrow
fixation. I broke the femurs in the center as suggested (I wanted
the ends) and also tried to fix a little pelvis and some lumbar
vertebrae. I put the bones in a 50 ml tube half full of NBF and
rotated end over end in the cold overnight (as suggested). I didn't
want to use the fixative/decal with EDTA because I was afraid of
losing all the iron in the bone marrow so I decaled quickly the next
day. I got great bone marrows with only a few tiny areas of brown
mush (I think those are the areas that the fixative didn't reach
well) as opposed to the brown mush with a few tiny areas of well
fixed marrow that I got in the past. I did this as a favor for a
coworker. Now my only problem is that they want me to do many more
(the bone marrows confirmed the opposite of the result they had hoped
for). Next step - teaching someone else how to do it.
Anyway, thanks very much for the great advice.
Histonet mailing list