[Histonet] Sliding vs. Sledge Microtome


Help me out here. 
What is the generally accepted distinction between a sliding and a sledge  
microtome?  It seems to me that the terms get used interchangeably.   In my 
book, a "sliding" microtome has a fixed specimen holder and the knife  slides back 
and forth on a slide way.  It is used for routine or frozen  sectioning of 
samples.  A "sledge" microtome has a fixed blade and the  specimen is moved, 
either manually or motorized.  The general application  is for hard samples such 
as bone and in some material science  applications.  
Any comments can be sent to me directly if you would like.
Dorothy Murphy Traczyk
Hacker Instruments & Industries Inc.
PO Box 1176
Winnsboro, SC 29180 
Histonet mailing list

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>