AW: [Histonet] Sliding vs. Sledge Microtome

From:"Gudrun Lang"

We use sliding microtomes (Fa. Microm) for our routine histology, like most
of you probably use the rotary microtomes. The bigger sledge microtomes, I
consider, are mostly used with resinembeddings of hard material. 

Gudrun Lang

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
[] Im Auftrag von Charles
Gesendet: Montag, 28. März 2005 19:49
Betreff: RE: [Histonet] Sliding vs. Sledge Microtome

Your definition conforms to what I have seen, that sliding means moving
blade, and sledge means moving tissue.  However, I do not think there is any
functional difference.  They can be used for all the same applications, are
both grouped under the category "sliding microtome".  Does anybody in
histoland who has used both feel they have different applications?  There is
a clear safety difference, but the tissue doesn't care which moves.

Charles W.  Scouten, Ph.D. 
5918 Evergreen Blvd. 
St. Louis, MO 63134 
Ph: 314 522 0300  
FAX  314 522 0377 

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2005 5:20 PM
Subject: [Histonet] Sliding vs. Sledge Microtome

Help me out here. 
What is the generally accepted distinction between a sliding and a sledge  
microtome?  It seems to me that the terms get used interchangeably.   In my 
book, a "sliding" microtome has a fixed specimen holder and the knife
slides back and forth on a slide way.  It is used for routine or frozen
sectioning of samples.  A "sledge" microtome has a fixed blade and the
specimen is moved, either manually or motorized.  The general application
is for hard samples such as bone and in some material science  applications.

Any comments can be sent to me directly if you would like.
Dorothy Murphy Traczyk
Hacker Instruments & Industries Inc.
PO Box 1176
Winnsboro, SC 29180
Histonet mailing list

Histonet mailing list

Histonet mailing list

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>