FW: Fires in Histology Laboratories

From:Ian Montgomery

        Yourself and Jim Ito might remember Dougie Bovell when he was one of George's boys in the Southern. Well, later in his career when he was at Glasgow University he worked adjacent to a lab where a colleague was boiling ether, don't ask why just accept boiling ether. When the smell of ether started to waft along the corridors it was decided that an evacuation should take place, "where's Dougie? oh **** he's still in the lab." Yes indeed, there was Dougie, slumped on the floor looking very peaceful and no doubt dreaming of the lovely Kylie Minogue. After being dragged out by the ankles he was revived and although much grayer in the hair still lives to talk of "Scientist gassed by colleague."

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 09:35:23 +0100
From: Andrew Shand <Andrew.Shand@north-bristol.swest.nhs.uk>
Subject: FW: Fires in Histology Laboratories
To: "Histonet (E-mail)" <histonet@pathology.swmed.edu>

Jim's reply has stimulated the "litle grey cells".  There was also one
caused by ether tracking from one lab, where a bottle was left without it's
cap on, to another where a Bunsen was lit.  That was a major fire with a lot
of damage.  Anyone remember the details?

Andy Shand

-----Original Message-----
From: Ito, James [mailto:jim.ito@yorkhill.scot.nhs.uk]
Sent: 31 March 2003 09:02
To: Andrew Shand
Subject: RE: Fires in Histology Laboratories

As stated by Andy Shand, the explosion was caused be ether being ignited in
a fridge which was not spark-proof.  The incident was caused when a rat was
sacrificed by by overdosing with ether vapour.  The rat was then placed in
the fridge, the explosion occurred and the rat was blasted through the
laboratory window and impacted on a parked car.  It happened in the lab
adjacent to mine and as no-one was hurt caused some amusement.  It also
caused us to be very careful in what we store in ordinary fridges and also
to purchase some sparkproof fridges and freezers.
Jim Ito
Senior Chief MLSO
Pathology Department
Royal Hospital for Sick Children
Glasgow G3 8SJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Andrew Shand [mailto:Andrew.Shand@north-bristol.swest.nhs.uk]
Sent: 31 March 2003 08:16
To: histonet@pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: RE: Fires in Histology Laboratories

Some years ago a British lab had an explosion. It was caused by ether being
ignited in a fridge.  Unfortunately I cannot remember any details.  Somebody
out there in histoland will I'm sure.
Andy Shand

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Wells [mailto:tomers@shaw.ca]
Sent: 28 March 2003 17:16
To: histonet@pathology.swmed.edu
Subject: Fires in Histology Laboratories

Is anyone aware of a significant fire occurring in a Histology laboratory? I
am looking at safety in histology labs and specifically fire prevention.
Thanks. Tom
Tom Wells
Supervisor, Immunohistochemistry
Lions Gate Hospital
North Vancouver, BC, Canada.

This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
the system manager.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been swept by
MIMEsweeper for the presence of computer viruses.


Dr. Ian Montgomery,
Graham Kerr Building,
Institute of Biomedical & Life Sciences,
University of Glasgow,
G12 8QQ.
Tel: 0141 339 8855
Office: 4652
Lab: 6644.
Pager: 07625 702883
e-mail: ian.montgomery@bio.gla.ac.uk

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>