Boil under reflux.....thanks!

From:Bruce Abaloz

Thanks Mark Bromley, of the Histology Department, Douglass Hanly Moir Pathology,
Sydney, Australia. NOW I understand what " boil under reflux" means. Cheers mate
Bruce in OZ.

Hi Bruce.

"Boil under reflux" is a term found mostly in chemistry labs. Essentially,
it involves inverting a condenser over the flask with the boiling liquid in
so that any vapours condense and drip back into the flask. It enables you to
boil volatile solvents for long periods of time without the vapours "boiling
off" and escaping into the atmosphere leaving the flask boiled dry.

I hope that helps.

Mark Bromley,
Histology Department,
Douglass Hanly Moir Pathology,
Sydney, Australia.
BRUCE ABALOZ                           PH:61383446282
HISTOLOGIST                            FAX:61383447909 
DEPT.of ZOOLOGY                        EMAIL:
VICTORIA.AUSTRALIA 3010           

        Tell me, I'll forget. Show me, I may remember. But  involve me, and I'll understand.
                         DANCE LIKE NO-ONE'S WATCHING          ********************************************************************************                                                                  This electronic message and all contents contain information which may be
privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure.The information is intended to be for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, any disclosure, copy, distribution or use of the contents of this message is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us immediately and destroy the original message and all copies.

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>