RE: plastic coplin jars

From:"Smith, Allen"

Water and "Alconox" works 90% of the time.  When that fails, I use a few ml
of concentrated hydrochloric acid UNDER A FUME HOOD.  (Concentrated
hydrochloric acid gives off toxic fumes as soon as you open the bottle.)
The plastic Coplin jars will stand indefinite soaking in concentrated
hydrochloric acid, if necessary.  Rarely, I have to put on gloves and use a
few ml of concentrated nitric acid.  I have never needed to leave the nitric
acid in the Coplin jar for more than 15 minutes, so I don't know what a
longer exposure will do.  (Although nitric acid itself is not volatile, it
reacts with some residues to produce toxic fumes.  Don't heat nitric acid.
Heating nitric acid  decomposes it to nitric oxide, a poisonous gas.)

Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Barry University
School of Graduate Medical Sciences
    Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Miami Shores, Florida  33161-6695 

-----Original Message-----
From: Kathleen Hollenbeck []
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 8:51 PM
Subject: plastic coplin jars

What is the best method that you have found to clean plastic coplin
jars?  We do the Jones and Steiner in the microwave using plastic coplin

Thanks for your help.

Kathleen Hollenbeck
Melbourne, FL

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>