Re: Scientific Symbols

From:Aidan Schurr

Interestingly, there is functionality already built into Windows that will do this with ease.  If you run "Character map" (which generally lives in the start menu, under accessories), then find the symbol you want, you will find that for most of them there will be a "shortcut key" listed.  For example, mu () can be entered by holding down Alt and typing 0181.  The degree symbol  is Alt+0176.  I have short list of the common ones I use on a post it note on my computer, and find it incredibly useful.  Saves having to change font all the time.



aidan schurr
section head, histology
hutt valley district health board
lower hutt
new zealand
++64 4 570 9173 (direct)
++64 4 570 9214 (fax)

>>> Lee & Peggy Wenk  11/07/2002 >>>
Just ran across this, in the June 28, 2002 AAAS Science journal, and thought
some 'netters might be interested.

You know how hard it is to find the right symbol or character when writing
up articles or procedures - like where is the alpha symbol (or other Greek
notations), or square brackets, or the English pound sign (if you are in the
US)? And if you do find it, it's not in the font you are using? And if you
sent the file to someone else, their computer substitutes another symbol or
other nonsense character or leaves a square box?

Well, a consortium of six publishers (Scientific and Technical Information
Exchange = STIX) announced that they are designing a new set of fonts that
will contain 8000 scientific, medical, engineering and mathematical symbols
that will work on word processing, printing and on the Web. It will work
with computers running current versions of Windows, Macintosh, and most
UNIX (including Linux) operating systems.

To make it better - when the fonts are completed in 2003, we'll be able to
download them and use them for FREE!

If you want more information, go to: 

Peggy A. Wenk, HTL(ASCP)SLS
William Beaumont Hospital
Royal Oak, MI 48073

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>