Re: How to homologate HT certifications


There is a question about someone from Argentina who is moving to FL
qualifing for the HT exam.  See messages below.  Please enlighten us.  I
assume you will have to have specifics of their training and check to
see that the lab experience was obtained in a CAP/JACHO accredited

Kenny Gillespie at the ASCP-BOR tells me that foreign experience does
qualify at least for the QIHC exam as long as the lab where the
experience was obtained was CAP/JACHO or equivalent accredited at the
time the experience was obtained.  The specific lab accreditation will
have to be verified by ASCP.  My advise is to not assume the experience
will not qualify, ask ASCP.  See responses below:

"As I indicated earlier, we will accept experience from any country in
the world. The lab in which they have worked and on which they are
basing their eligibility must be CAP or JACHO accredited.
The Board of Registry has accepted experience obtained in Canada for
many years. The labs are not accredited by CAP or JACHO, they are
accredited by the appropriate organization in Canada. We also accept
accredited training from Canadian accredited training programs for MLT,
MT, CT, etc."

Sharron Ladd wrote:

> Maria,
> Although your education will be considered, the experience needed to
> qualify for the ASCP exam must be obtained here in the USA (see
> You
> will need 1 to 2 years experience to qualify for the Histotechnician
> examination (depending on your situation).
> Florida did do away with the State licensing exam, however, you must
> still obtain a State license. One of the requirements for getting a
> State license is that you must be certified by the ASCP. You must pass
> both the written and practical exam portions and they do not issue
> temporary licenses while you wait (sometimes for 6 months) for your
> exam results.
> Hope this helps.
> Sharron
> Tampa, Florida
> rueggp wrote:
>> Maria,
>> Contact ASCP to see if your Argentina experience and degree will
>> fullfil the requirement to sit for the HT certification exam her in
>> the USA.  Our HT certification is valid nationally (in any state),
>> some states also have a liscence program, but I thought I heard that
>> FL did away with their state liscense????  Contact the board of
>> registery at ASCP
>> or Ken Gillespie personally at the BOR at "Gillespie, Kenneth"
>>  and ask him how your training in Argentina will
>> transfer here.
>> Patsy
>> "Ricardo I. G.L." wrote:
>> > Hi,      I'm calling from Argentina. I'm an HT with a local diploma
>> > (2 years after the high).     I'm evaluating a move to Florida.
>> > Does anyone know: a)how can I homologate my HT diploma for the
>> > Florida State b)If there are any kind of visa sponsorship for
>> > technicians like me I'm good with special stains, hard tissues,
>> > ready-for-paper slides, and some scanning microscope experience.
>> > Thanks, Maria

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>