[Histonet] unsubscribe please

From:"Jeremy Browne"

4th attempt!!

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Nancy
Sent: Monday, February 23, 2004 9:21 AM
To: histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Myri37@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Histonet] MMA

I  have used the MMA/butylmethacrylate/methylbenzoate/peg 400/ benzoyl
peroxide (BPO) combination to embed undecalcified bone and small stented
arteries.  It is an easy combination to make up and use.  I expect you
have three changes suggested in your procedure.  Mix each about 4 hours
before use.  It seems I have the best results with this.  The
infiltration time will have to be worked out and if vacuum is used, it
should be limited to a couple of hours after each change of plastic.  I
make prepolymerized containers to place the tissue on and add the
embedding plastic on.  It will keep down the bubbles.  When embedding,
the air in the embedding container with the liquid plastic will need to
be flushed out with C02 (easiest to use), you can also use gaseous
nitrogen.  It takes one to two days for complete polymerization in the
Things that can cause problems with polymerization:
Containers not flushed enough that have oxygen in them will not fully
polymerize. I place the flushed embedding containers in a bell jar,
flush jar with CO2 and seal.  This goes in the freezer.  
Humid conditions can cause poorly polymerization ---some hard--some
still liquid.  Usually have to replace the embedding plastic, flush with
CO2 and try again. You can use drierite in the bottom to help this.
After the blocks are hard, the plastic is trimmed a little to the block
size I want to use in the microtome.  I wet cut 4 micron sections  and
place them on a chrome-gelatin coated slide with a couple of drops of
70% alcohol, on a slide warmer.  The section flattens out, I put a piece
of plastic on it, gently roll with a small wall paper roller.  when I
get them done I clamp them with c-clamps.  It is good idea to have a
small piece of wood and extra glass slide on each end.  It prevents
slides from breaking.  They get placed in the oven overnight.  The
clamps removed, plastic removed, they are ready to deplasticize with
xylene and ready for staining.  You may want to deplasticize with other
agents such as 2-methoxyethyl acetate for immunostaining.  Your
procedure may give you more info for immunostaining.  I remember doing
Brdu with success, however, we would get a halo effect around the
possitive cells, and I could not find anyone that had a solution to
this.  I did find th
 certain antibody diluents and blockers were a key in the success of
I hope this helps. 
MPI Research
Mattawan, MI

Histonet mailing list

Histonet mailing list

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>