Re: Grossing by non-pathologists.

From:marsha r price <>

Has CLIA' 88 changed their initials and if so what does the E stand for
in CLEA?
M. Price

On Wed, 07 Feb 2001 09:19:00 -0600 writes:
> First, just to clarify, it's pathologists' assistant and not 
> pathology
> assistant.  You can get great info at
> CLEA '88 lists the requirements for non-pathologists grossing.  
> Grossing is
> considered high-complexity testing even if it's a punch biopsy.  
> CLEA '88
> states "On or before April 24 1995 (I) be a high school graduate or
> equivalent; and (b) have documentation of training appropriate for 
> the test
> performed before analyzing patient specimens"................After 
> that date
> it requires an associate degree in a biological or chemical science 
> or medical
> laboratory technology  -or- qualify as a medical technologist with a
> bachelor's degree from an accredited institution  -or- earned a 
> bachelor's
> degree in a chemical, physical, biologic or clinical laboratory 
> science.
> ref. CLEA '88 493.1489
> Also CAP requires a written instruction detailing what specimens may 
> be
> grossed with direct vs indirect pathologists' observation.  Direct 
> means that
> the pathologist literally watches over your shoulder while you gross 
> the
> specimen.  Indirect means that he is readily available to consult.
> I hope this helps,
> Charles R. Embrey Jr. PA(AAPA), HT(ASCP)
> Carle Clinic
> Urbana, IL

Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less!
Join Juno today!  For your FREE software, visit:

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>