Re: Smith's fix (potassium dichromate) disposal

<< Previous Message | Next Message >> (by way of histonet)
To:histonet <>
Content-Type:text/plain; charset="us-ascii"


The MSDS should list an EPA number(s).  To find out the correct disposal
you will need to call your local, state or city waste site and give them
the EPA number(s).  The manufacturer can supply you with an MSDS,

If the fixative is made in the lab than , look at the MSDS for each of the
chemicals used in the fixative.  Write down the EPA numbers for each and
contact the disposal site in your area.

Disposal requirements can differ from state to state, city to city, and so

Rande Kline HT (ASCP)
Technical Services
EM Science (Carla Aiwohi) on 12/10/98 09:00:30 AM

Subject:  Smith's fix (potassium dichromate) disposal

Hi all,

A researcher at our lab is using Smith's fixative to preserve yolk
What is the best way to dispose of used fixative (it contains potassium
dichromate, formalin and glacial acetic acid)?

Thanks for your help,

Carla Aiwohi
Western Fish Research Center
Seattle, WA

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>