Re: Alcohol volumes

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>
From:"D. Hammer" <> (by way of Histonet) (by way of histonet)
To:histonet <>
Content-Type:text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

Hey, who is this "Masked Man"??  He sure has a bead on flammable storage.

Thanks for the great layout of info.


Don Hammer, Administrative Director            UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON
Hospital Pathology, Box 356100                     MEDICAL CENTER
1995 NE Pacific St.
Seattle Washington, 98195                  ~Where Knowledge Comes To Life~
(206) 548-6401 Fax: (206) 548-4928

On Mon, 30 Nov 1998, Mathew Osborn wrote:

> Histonetters,
> Recently a question was posed regarding the allowable volumes of alcohol
> in a lab.  I hope what follows sheds some light on this issue.
> Ethanol is classified as a Class IB combustible liquid. Class IB liquids
> have a maximum allowable container capacity of 20 liters in "metal (non
> approved) or approved plastic containers, safety cans or DOT spec metal
> drums."
> The amount of combustible liquids allowable is determined by the size of
> the "laboratory unit". For hospitals with sprinkler systems, per 100 sq.
> feet of lab space, Class I, II and IIIA (including IB) flammable liquids
> are limited to 4 L (1.1 gallons) not in approved storage containers or
> safety cans and 7.5 L (2 gal) total including quantities in storage
> cabinets and safety cans. That is, only half of the combustibles in a
> lab
> can be outside of approved storage containers. Note that there is no
> rule
> governing total volume except as it pertains to lab area and to
> container
> size.
> The key definition here is "laboratory unit". Some EH&S officers define
> laboratory unit roughly as the space enclosed by fire doors. Thus, for
> all
> but the smallest hospitals and labs, there should be few restrictions
> because of space-related alcohol volume limitations. As an example, one
> Sakura VIP has 21 L of ethanol and 9 L of Xylene (Class IIIA). Assuming
> that a tissue processor is not an approved storage container, this means
> that the "lab unit" would need to be a minimum of 750 sq. ft. (30x25
> ft.)
> for each tissue processor to be "legal" ((30 L  4 L) X 100 sq. ft. ).
> For
> a tissue processor that is considered to be an approved storage
> container,
> then the space requirements are halved.
> I hope this helps to answer the question.
> If you have concerns or questions about cost effectively recycling these
> solvents, please contact me.
> Sincerely,
> Matt Osborn
> Product Manager
> Naiad Technologies, Inc.
> 503-274-4407

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>