Eukitt mounting medium

From:Cathy Mayton

I would like to give my 2 cents about Eukitt mounting medium. 

I have used Eukitt mounting medium exclusively over the past 4.5 years in my private contract lab and even longer when I was employed in the Bone & Joint research lab in Salt Lake City Utah.  Over the past 4.5 years I have mounted sections embedded in paraffin as well as glycol methacrylate (GMA) with no problems.  I have not received any calls from my clients complaining that they could no longer read the slides.

Sections mounted with Eukitt must be placed in xylene prior to mounting and Eukitt must be diluted with xylene as well.  You did not state if  a xylene substitute was being used.  It is difficult to trouble-shoot where the problem is because the staining protocol or how the sections were handled prior to mounting with Eukitt was not mentioned.

I do not have the luxury of going back to old slides because they are routinely sent to the client once the study is completed.  However, this weekend I was able to pull some slides that were archived for one of my clients.  The slides were paraffin embedded sections stained with H&E and mounted with Eukitt that were completed in January of this year.  The slides are still just as crisp as the day they were stained and mounted.

I purchase my Eukitt direct from Calibrated Instruments.  I think it is important that if we are having a problem with a product than we should call the manufacturer of the product.  This gives them a chance to address a problem that may be a manufacturing problem or they can help trouble-shoot a problem associated with the labs protocol.

I am confident that if you called Mr. Bruce Shroyer at Calibrated Instruments he would be more than happy to discuss the problem associated with your slides.  Mr. Shroyer can be reached at 914-741-5700 and is located in Hawthorne, New York.

Last year and into the early part of this year, I started having a problem with a product.  The first thing I did was trouble-shoot my protocols to determine if there was something I was doing to cause this problem.  After thoroughly trouble-shooting every angle of the protocol I then called the manufacturer of the product.  After awhile it was determined that yes, it was a manufacturing problem.  The manufacturer took care of me by replacing the product and I was a happy camper.

Many vendors monitor Histonet and go out of their way to help us in our day to day processing problems.  So the next time  a problem arises, please be considerate to our vendors and give them a chance to address any problems you may have that could be associated with their products.

My 2 cents,


GLP Compliant Laboratory

Cathy A. Mayton
Project Director
Wasatch Histo Consultants, Inc.

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>