RE: [Histonet] microwaves in labs

From:"Bartlett, Jeanine (CDC/CCID/NCZVED)"

Thanks for your feedback Joe.  It is much appreciated. 

Jeanine Bartlett
Infectious Disease Pathology Branch
(404) 639-3590

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Nocito [] 
Sent: Wednesday, August 22, 2007 10:49 AM
To: Bartlett, Jeanine (CDC/CCID/NCZVED);
Subject: Re: [Histonet] microwaves in labs

we use a home microwave that has a counter top fume hood over it. We
calibrate the temp twice a year. While checking the temps, we also check
for microwave leakage.
Now, here I go again. I have my flame retardant suit on because I can
already feel the flames coming.
    Some people are saying you have to use a laboratory grade microwave
and not a home use one. I agree with this statement 100%, if you are
processing tissue. If you are just using the microwave to perform
special stains or the occasional heat slides, I don't see the need to
spend all that money on a lab grade microwave.
    I've been using microwaves for specials for over 20 years and with
the exception of the rare over heating of Carbol Fuschin (big mess) I've
never had a microwave blow up. And you have to admit, the microwaves
today are a lot safer than the ones 20 years ago.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bartlett, Jeanine (CDC/CCID/NCZVED)" 
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 12:58 PM
Subject: [Histonet] microwaves in labs

Hi all:

I'd like to know how many of you out there use non-laboratory grade
microwaves for specials stains.......specifically for heating
methenamine-silver for a GMS. For those that do, are there any safety
issues of which you are aware?

Thanks for your help!

Jeanine Bartlett, BS, HT(ASCP)QIHC
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Infectious Diseases Pathology Branch
1600 Clifton Road, MS/G-32
Atlanta, GA  30333
(404) 639-3590

Histonet mailing list 

Histonet mailing list

<< Previous Message | Next Message >>