[Histonet] tissues falling off

From:Melissa Mazan

Tanni - I had the same problem - my citrate buffer was too alkaline - pH 
of 6 made everything work fine.  Melissa

histonet-request@lists.utsouthwestern.edu wrote:

> Send Histonet mailing list submissions to
> 	histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> 
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	histonet-request@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> 
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	histonet-owner@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> 
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Histonet digest..."
> 
> 
> Today's Topics:
> 
>    1. Looking for a new vendor  for Amyloid P Antibody (Nava, Josefa)
>    2. Disposal of surgical specimens (Linda Stirpe)
>    3. eNOS evaluation (AGrobe2555@aol.com)
>    4. Re: Disposal of surgical specimens (Rene J Buesa)
>    5. diener pay (Spoon, Victoria)
>    6. RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 33, Issue 28 (Margaryan, Naira)
>    7. Cost of consumables (tncperfect2@comcast.net)
>    8. Rat Histology (Hector Mobine)
>    9. Hydrogen peroxide sterilization (AGrobe2555@aol.com)
>   10. Histo Position (Barbara Murray)
>   11. Re: diener pay (Godsgalnow@aol.com)
>   12. Re: Cost of consumables (Godsgalnow@aol.com)
>   13. Re: Looking for a new vendor  for Amyloid P Antibody
>       (Jennifer MacDonald)
>   14. RE: Who cleans your mortuary? (Rosalba)
>   15. unsubscribe (Lynda King)
>   16. F4/80 (Helen Beard)
>   17. p-0 fixation and embedding-correction (Vicki Hakim)
>   18. RE: Disposal of surgical specimens (Molinari, Betsy)
>   19. IHC - sections falling off! (Ahmed, T (Tanni))
>   20. Re: Disposal of surgical specimens (Janci Wellborn)
>   21. RE: IHC - sections falling off! (Dawson, Glen)
>   22. Refurbished instruments with CMD (Coleman Manufacturing)
>   23. RE: Patient slide send-out (Richard Cartun)
>   24. RE: Disposal of surgical specimens (Horn, Hazel V)
>   25. Re: F4/80 (Gayle Callis)
>   26. RE: Refurbished instruments with CMD (Jes Strong)
>   27. Re: Cost of consumables (Rene J Buesa)
> 
> 
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:50:30 -0500
> From: "Nava, Josefa" 
> Subject: [Histonet] Looking for a new vendor  for Amyloid P Antibody
> To: 
> Message-ID:
> 	<2C515C1049EAF5459EFD8C9B929078A401DA13A6@phdex03.txhealth.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Hello,
>  
> Can someone tell me where I can  order  Amyloid P  antibody. Dako  and
> Novocastra  have discontinued  it. I will appreciate any information you
> can give me. I will be running the  Amyloid P  on a Ventana machine and
> VBS Bond Max.  Thank you.
>  
> Josie
> 
> 
> The information contained in this message and any attachments is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is PRIVILEGED, CONFIDENTIAL, and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are prohibited from copying, distributing, or using the information.  Please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail and delete the original message from your system.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:54:51 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Linda Stirpe 
> Subject: [Histonet] Disposal of surgical specimens
> To: HistoNet Server 
> Message-ID: <20060823175451.94510.qmail@web54614.mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
> 
> I know this subject has been previously discussed but
> now it has become an issue at our facility. We are a
> small hospital processing about 5,000 surgicals/year. 
> Currently, we dispose of the specimens with fixative
> by placing them in biohazard containers and then 
> hauled off site. The safety committee now has concerns
> that the specimen is a biohazard and the formain is a
> hazardous waste and should be separated for disposal
> purposes.  We are interested in how other hospitals
> handle this.  Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated.  Thank you!
> 
> Linda Stirpe, HT(ASCP)
> Corning Hospital
> Corning, NY  
>   
> 
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
> http://mail.yahoo.com 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 14:49:08 EDT
> From: AGrobe2555@aol.com
> Subject: [Histonet] eNOS evaluation
> To: histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Message-ID: <57c.3e0afac.321dfd24@aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> 
> Tahseen,
> I have worked with eNOS in the past.  Can you give me a bit more  detail of 
> what you are looking for?  Cellular localization, levels, NO  production, 
> phosphorylation state, etc....?
> Albert
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 4
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 11:54:26 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rene J Buesa 
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] Disposal of surgical specimens
> To: Linda Stirpe ,	HistoNet Server
> 	
> Message-ID: <20060823185426.21282.qmail@web61218.mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
> 
> Linda:
>   We used to separate formalin from the tissue. Formalin was placed in large drums to be hauled away by a company we contracted. The tissues were incinerated at the hospital (something that probably you will not be able to do). Otherwise the tissue should be handled as any other biohazard sample within the lab.
>   Hope this will help you!
>   RenÚ J.
> 
> Linda Stirpe  wrote:
>   I know this subject has been previously discussed but
> now it has become an issue at our facility. We are a
> small hospital processing about 5,000 surgicals/year. 
> Currently, we dispose of the specimens with fixative
> by placing them in biohazard containers and then 
> hauled off site. The safety committee now has concerns
> that the specimen is a biohazard and the formain is a
> hazardous waste and should be separated for disposal
> purposes. We are interested in how other hospitals
> handle this. Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated. Thank you!
> 
> Linda Stirpe, HT(ASCP)
> Corning Hospital
> Corning, NY 
> 
> 
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
> http://mail.yahoo.com 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> 
> 
> 
>  				
> ---------------------------------
> Want to be your own boss? Learn how on  Yahoo! Small Business. 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 5
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:22:06 -0400
> From: "Spoon, Victoria" 
> Subject: [Histonet] diener pay
> To: 
> Message-ID: <415700FC732DE14491A3E39367834F7715AD6E@ex3.bassett.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> What is the going rate of pay for dieners?
> 
> Thanks in advance. 
> 
> 
> NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY
> This electronic message, including attachments, is for the sole use of the
> named recipient and may contain confidential or privileged information 
> protected by New York State, and Federal regulations. Any unauthorized 
> review, use, disclosure, copying or distribution is strictly prohibited. 
> If you are not the intended recipient or have received this communication 
> in error please contact the sender or email.security@bassett.org and 
> destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 16:38:08 -0500
> From: "Margaryan, Naira" 
> Subject: [Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 33, Issue 28
> To: 
> Message-ID:
> 	<63B8B599DE283148B92E83C78B32C15D02E0DFEE@cmhexbe2.childrensmemorial.org>
> 	
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Me too, please :-) And, please, not only histology, but cancer pathology
> as well!!!
> 
>  
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Naira
> 
>  
> 
> Naira V. Margaryan, D.V.M., Ph.D.
> 
> Research Associate III
> 
> Children's Memorial Research Center
> 
> 2300 Children's Plaza, Box 222
> 
> Chicago, IL 60614-3394
> 
> Tel: 773-755-6570/ext-8
> 
> Fax: 773-755-6594
> 
> nmargaryan@childrensmemorial.org
> 
>  
> 
> For Express Mail: 
> 
> CMRC, Room C.473
> 
> 2430 N. Halsted Street
> 
> Chicago, IL  60614-4314
> 
>  
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
>  
> 
> Message: 10
> 
> Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 17:53:49 -0800
> 
> From: "Barbara Murray" 
> 
> Subject: [Histonet] On-line Histology Schools
> 
> To: 
> 
> Message-ID: 
> 
> Content-Type: text/plain;     charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
> Greetings from Anchorage, Alaska
> 
> Would someone please  send me a list of on-line Histology Schools.
> 
> Thanks in advance and have a great day!
> 
>  
> 
> Barbara A. Murray, HT. (ASCP)
> 
> The Alaska Native Medical Center
> 
> Anchorage, Alaska
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 7
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 22:09:24 +0000
> From: tncperfect2@comcast.net
> Subject: [Histonet] Cost of consumables
> To: histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Message-ID:
> 	<082320062209.25134.44ECD214000AC3560000622E2213575333CD9B0C0A009D0A9F0C029B@comcast.net>
> 	
> Content-Type: text/plain
> 
> Hi Histonetters.
> I need to know how much managers are spending on consumables that deal with 1000 or more specimens a month...give or take a few dollars?  I just need a ball park figure for now.  We do just the H&E routine stain.
> If anyone can help me it would be very much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Carolyn
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:16:46 -0400
> From: "Hector Mobine" 
> Subject: [Histonet] Rat Histology
> To: 
> Message-ID: <200608232216.k7NMGkix025572@outgoing.mit.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
> 
> I am in the process of designing histological experiments of rat and mice
> hearts and would be interested in a good description of rat heart excision
> and anatomy. I have yet been unable to find one in medical textbooks,
> reviews or protocols. Does anyone know of any good references, pictures,
> books or protocols? Any help would be appreciated. 
> 
>  
> 
> Thanks, 
> 
>   Hector
> 
>  
> 
>  
> 
> Graduate Student
> 
> Edelman Lab
> 
> Biological Engineering Division
> 
> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
> 
>  
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 9
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 18:27:22 EDT
> From: AGrobe2555@aol.com
> Subject: [Histonet] Hydrogen peroxide sterilization
> To: histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Message-ID: <414.8c46d5a.321e304a@aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> 
> Does anyone know of a company which will do H2O2 gas-phase sterilization on  
> a contract basis?  Please feel free to contact me directly off-list.
> Thanks,
> Albert
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 10
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 15:29:15 -0800
> From: "Barbara Murray" 
> Subject: [Histonet] Histo Position
> To: 
> Message-ID: 
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> 
> 
> Greetings from Anchorage, Alaska.
> We currently have two openings in Histology @ The Alaska Native Medical
> Center. Contact David Morrison, Laboratory Manager @ 907-729-1228 for
> details and $$$$$$!
> Have a great day!
> 
> Barbara A. Murray, HT. (ASCP)
> The Alaska Native Medical Center
> Anchorage, Alaska 99508
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 11
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:56:22 EDT
> From: Godsgalnow@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] diener pay
> To: victoria.spoon@bassett.org, histonet@pathology.swmed.edu
> Message-ID: <516.60e833f.321e5336@aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> 
> I have always paid per case.....$250 - $300 per case.  It doesn't  matter if 
> it is a chest only or a full body, the pay is the same.
> Roxanne
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 12
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 21:01:19 EDT
> From: Godsgalnow@aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] Cost of consumables
> To: tncperfect2@comcast.net, histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Message-ID: <37d.9d06a47.321e545f@aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
> 
> This is all so subjective.  It depends on where you are located, how  much 
> you pay for shipping, if at all.  If you have a GPO or multiple  vendors that 
> you use.  Progressive or regressive staining?  Gills,  Harris, Clarifier or no?  
> Bluing or no?  Plus slides, regular  slides?  Do you cut extras?  Do you have 
> to pay for DI water?  Do  you have a specific brand of products you use?  
>  
>  
> Roxanne  Soto
> Lab Manager
> Physicians RightPath
> Tampa,  Florida
> 813-549-1050
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 13
> Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 20:32:12 -0700
> From: Jennifer MacDonald 
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] Looking for a new vendor  for Amyloid P
> 	Antibody
> To: "Nava, Josefa" 
> Cc: histonet@pathology.swmed.edu
> Message-ID:
> 	
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
> 
> 
>    I know that BioCare has it.  You can also check Cell Marque.
> 
> 
> 
> 
>    -----hist   To: 
>    Sen   Date: 08/23/2006 10:50AM   Subject: [Histonet] Looking for a new vendor for Amyloid P Antibody
>    Hello,
>    Can  someone  tell  me  where I can  order  Amyloid   and
>    Novocastra   have  discontinued  &nb   information you
>    can  give me. I will be runn   and
>    VBS Bond Max. &nb   Josie
>    The  information  contained  in  this mes   intended only for the use of the individual or    addressed,   and   may  contain  information  that  is  PRIVIL   CONFIDENTIAL,  and  exempt from disclosure under applicable law.     you  are  not the intended recipient, you are prohibited from copying,
>    dis   immedi   your system.
>    _______________________   5F   _______________________
>    Hi   Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>    [1]htt   
> References
> 
>    1. file://localhost/tmp/3D"http
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 14
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 15:39:39 +1000
> From: Rosalba 
> Subject: RE: [Histonet] Who cleans your mortuary?
> To: 'Mike Kirby' ,	"Histonet (E-mail)"
> 	
> Message-ID: <01C6C793.83411BC0.zumbor@email.cs.nsw.gov.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Hi All,
> The mortuary technicians who assist with the post-mortems clean the 
> mortuary after they have finished their cases. Each cleans their own work 
> area and there is a roster for cleaning the other general areas such as the 
> fridge etc.
> Rosalba Zumbo
> Supervisor Histology Dept
> Department of Forensic Medicine
> 42-50 Parramatta Rd
> Glebe NSW 2037
> Australia
> PH: 61 2 85847842
> FAX: 61 2 95664573
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From:	Mike Kirby [SMTP:mike.kirby@nhls.ac.za]
> Sent:	Wednesday, 23 August 2006 7:45 PM
> To:	Histonet (E-mail)
> Subject:	[Histonet] Who cleans your mortuary?
> 
> 
> Hi Guys.
> 
> Question! Who cleans your mortuary? Swabbing the floors and tables, 
> cleaning the refrigeration area, sinks, windows, etc. Do you have 
> permanent, in-house trained Staff, or do you contract out to a commercial 
> company?
> 
> M.Kirby
> Johannesburg
> South Africa.
> 
> ************************************************************************  
> **********
> The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of 
> the author and not those of the National Health Laboratory Services or its 
> management. The information in this e-mail is confidential and is intended 
> solely for the addressee.
> Access to this e-mail by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the 
> intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action 
> taken or omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful.
> Whilst all reasonable steps are taken to ensure the accuracy and integrity 
> of information and data transmitted electronically and to preserve the 
> confidentiality thereof, no liability or responsibility whatsoever is 
> accepted if information or data is, for whatever reason, corrupted or does 
> not reach its intended destination.
> 
> ************************************************************************  
> ***********
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> _____________________________________________________________________
> This email has been scanned for the Sydney South West Area Health Service 
> by the MessageLabs Email Security System. SSWAHS regularly monitors emails 
> and attachments to ensure compliance with the NSW Government's Electronic 
> Messaging Policy.
> 
> "This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy it and notify the sender. Views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and are not necessarily the views of the Sydney South West Area Health Service."
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 15
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 16:15:45 +1000
> From: "Lynda King" 
> Subject: [Histonet] unsubscribe
> To: 
> Message-ID: <5E06BFED29594F4C9C5EBE230DE320C6114B5DBC@ewok.vsl.com.au>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> 
> 
> Lynda King
> Customer and Sales Administrator
> 
> Vision BioSystems Ltd
> 495 Blackburn Road
> Mt Waverley VIC 3149
> Australia
> 
> telephone: +61 3 9211 7400
> facsimile: +61 3 9211 7401
> 
> www.vision-bio.com   
> 
> IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential. Any retransmissions, dissemination or other use of these materials by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If received in error, please contact us and delete all copies. Before opening or using attachments, check them for viruses and defects. Our liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. [Any representations or opinions expressed in this email are those of the individual sender, and not necessarily those of Vision Systems Limited].
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 16
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 03:18:32 -0500
> From: "Helen Beard" 
> Subject: [Histonet] F4/80
> To: mobine@MIT.EDU, histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Message-ID: 
> Content-Type: text/plain; format="flowed"
> 
> 
>    I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used Sertec F4/80
>    to  do  IHC  for   microglia  in pfa fixed mouse brains. I have lovely
>    staining  in  my  kupfer  cells  (control)  but  only staining of what
>    appears  to  be  neurones  in  the  brain. A protocol would be greatly
>    appreciated.
> 
>    Thanks in advance
> 
>    Helen
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 17
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:52:28 GMT
> From: Vicki Hakim 
> Subject: [Histonet] p-0 fixation and embedding-correction
> To: Gayle Callis ,	histonet
> 	
> Message-ID: 
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
> 
> sorry for the abbreviation, p-0 means p- zero (immediately after birth) 
> thanks again
> vicki
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Gayle Callis 
> Date: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 19:03
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] p-0 fixation and embedding
> To: Vicki Hakim 
> 
>>Define what P-O mouse brains means, please.
>>
>>At 08:26 AM 8/23/2006, you wrote:
>>
>>>hi all
>>>we are interested in a protocol for fixation and embedding for 
>>
>>P-0 mouse 
>>
>>>brains. if u have a recommendation on 1) the preferable 
>>
>>fixative (PFA or 
>>
>>>formalin) and the specific times for fixation with each 
>>
>>substance 2) time 
>>
>>>in the melted paraffin 3) xylene or toluene
>>>thanks in advance
>>>vicki
>>>
>>>
>>> ‎
>>>_______________________________________________
>>>Histonet mailing list
>>>Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>>>http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
>>
>>Gayle Callis
>>MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
>>Research Histopathology Supervisor
>>Veterinary Molecular Biology
>>Montana State University - Bozeman
>>PO Box 173610
>>Bozeman MT 59717-3610
>>406 994-6367
>>406 994-4303 (FAX)
>>
>>
>>ÔÇÄ
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 18
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 06:09:26 -0500
> From: "Molinari, Betsy" 
> Subject: RE: [Histonet] Disposal of surgical specimens
> To: 
> Message-ID:
> 	
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Linda,
> We do the same here. Our tissue is stored in "seal a meal" Heavy Duty Kapak bags until the investigator is ready to let it go. Then we cut a small corner off the bag, dump the formalin in a waste container, reseal the bag and put it into a biohazard bag for the hospital to dispose of.
> 
> Betsy Molinari HT (ASCP)
> Texas Heart Institute
> Cardiovascular Pathology
> 6770 Bertner Ave.
> Houston,TX 77030
> 832-355-6524
> 832-355-6812 (fax)
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
> Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 1:54 PM
> To: Linda Stirpe; HistoNet Server
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] Disposal of surgical specimens
> 
> Linda:
>   We used to separate formalin from the tissue. Formalin was placed in large drums to be hauled away by a company we contracted. The tissues were incinerated at the hospital (something that probably you will not be able to do). Otherwise the tissue should be handled as any other biohazard sample within the lab.
>   Hope this will help you!
>   RenÚ J.
> 
> Linda Stirpe  wrote:
>   I know this subject has been previously discussed but
> now it has become an issue at our facility. We are a
> small hospital processing about 5,000 surgicals/year. 
> Currently, we dispose of the specimens with fixative
> by placing them in biohazard containers and then 
> hauled off site. The safety committee now has concerns
> that the specimen is a biohazard and the formain is a
> hazardous waste and should be separated for disposal
> purposes. We are interested in how other hospitals
> handle this. Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated. Thank you!
> 
> Linda Stirpe, HT(ASCP)
> Corning Hospital
> Corning, NY 
> 
> 
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
> http://mail.yahoo.com 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> 
> 
> 
>  				
> ---------------------------------
> Want to be your own boss? Learn how on  Yahoo! Small Business. 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 19
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:15:55 +0100
> From: "Ahmed, T \(Tanni\)" 
> Subject: [Histonet] IHC - sections falling off!
> To: 
> Message-ID: <11DBF8AFF1DC0F4A9B51A23F8E5BDA33799067@mksn83.d50.intra>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
> 
> Dear All,
>  
> I am trying to save sections of canine mammary tissue from falling off
> in antigen retrieval solution in a microwave technique (have also tried
> half power microwaving). I am using normal superfrost slides and leaving
> them to incubate overnight.  The sections are fine after dewaxing -
> therefore I believe the type of slide used whether it be superfrost or
> positive charged polysaline slides should not matter? My other option is
> maybe to use non heat-treatment methods of enzyme digestion such as
> trypsin. Is there anyone who has any ideas to prevent sections falling
> off during the microwave retrieval step? 
>  
> Any suggestions to improve are welcome. 
>  
> Thanks in advance,
>  
> Tanni
> 
> --------------------------------------
> This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be privileged.
> If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete
> and destroy the original message and all copies. You should not copy, forward
> and/or disclose this message, in whole or in part, without permission of
> the sender.
> --------------------------------------
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 20
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:18:03 -0400
> From: "Janci Wellborn" 
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] Disposal of surgical specimens
> To: histonet@pathology.swmed.edu,	lpstirpe@yahoo.com,
> 	rjbuesa@yahoo.com
> Message-ID: 
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
> 
> Linda,
>  We separate the formalin from the tissue.  The formalin is then neutralized and solidified with product called ISOSORB. The tissue and solid formalin waste is then doubled bagged and disposed of as any other biohazard sample.  Our limbs are incinerated by a local mortuary.
> 
> Janci Wellborn, HTL, BS, BSeD
> Dunes Medical Lab
> Dakota Dunes, SD
> 
> 
>>>>"Rene J Buesa"  8/23/2006 1:54 PM >>>
> 
> Linda:
>   We used to separate formalin from the tissue. Formalin was placed in large drums to be hauled away by a company we contracted. The tissues were incinerated at the hospital (something that probably you will not be able to do). Otherwise the tissue should be handled as any other biohazard sample within the lab.
>   Hope this will help you!
>   RenÚ J.
> 
> Linda Stirpe  wrote:
>   I know this subject has been previously discussed but
> now it has become an issue at our facility. We are a
> small hospital processing about 5,000 surgicals/year. 
> Currently, we dispose of the specimens with fixative
> by placing them in biohazard containers and then 
> hauled off site. The safety committee now has concerns
> that the specimen is a biohazard and the formain is a
> hazardous waste and should be separated for disposal
> purposes. We are interested in how other hospitals
> handle this. Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated. Thank you!
> 
> Linda Stirpe, HT(ASCP)
> Corning Hospital
> Corning, NY 
> 
> 
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
> http://mail.yahoo.com 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu 
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet 
> 
> 
> 
> 
>  				
> ---------------------------------
> Want to be your own boss? Learn how on  Yahoo! Small Business. 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu 
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 21
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 08:14:10 -0500
> From: "Dawson, Glen" 
> Subject: RE: [Histonet] IHC - sections falling off!
> To: "Ahmed, T \(Tanni\)" ,
> 	
> Message-ID:
> 	
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="iso-8859-1"
> 
> Tanni,
> 
> Don't underestimate the power of a slide with extra adhesive properties.  Try out Goldfrost Plus Slides or the Silanized slides from Dako.
> 
> Also, try extending the time that you dry your slides before you start your procedure. 
> 
> Keep in mind that enzyme digestion can make tissue sections fall off as well.
> 
> Good Luck,
> 
> Glen Dawson  BS, HT & QIHC (ASCP)
> IHC Manager
> Milwaukee, WI
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> [mailto:histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Ahmed, T
> (Tanni)
> Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 5:16 AM
> To: histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Subject: [Histonet] IHC - sections falling off!
> 
> 
> Dear All,
>  
> I am trying to save sections of canine mammary tissue from falling off
> in antigen retrieval solution in a microwave technique (have also tried
> half power microwaving). I am using normal superfrost slides and leaving
> them to incubate overnight.  The sections are fine after dewaxing -
> therefore I believe the type of slide used whether it be superfrost or
> positive charged polysaline slides should not matter? My other option is
> maybe to use non heat-treatment methods of enzyme digestion such as
> trypsin. Is there anyone who has any ideas to prevent sections falling
> off during the microwave retrieval step? 
>  
> Any suggestions to improve are welcome. 
>  
> Thanks in advance,
>  
> Tanni
> 
> --------------------------------------
> This message, including attachments, is confidential and may be privileged.
> If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender then delete
> and destroy the original message and all copies. You should not copy, forward
> and/or disclose this message, in whole or in part, without permission of
> the sender.
> --------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 22
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 06:18:31 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Coleman Manufacturing 
> Subject: [Histonet] Refurbished instruments with CMD
> To: histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Message-ID: <20060824131831.20959.qmail@web37614.mail.mud.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
> 
> Tto provide every laboratory and hospital with the opportunity to enjoy the many benefits of our products, CMD is delighted to offer factory-refurbished instruments at significantly discounted prices. All of these instruments are backed by a full one-year parts and service warranty. Offer subject to availability. 
> 
> Equipment of the following types:     
>    Cover Slippers    
>    Cryostats   
>    Microtomes   
>    Embedding centers  
>    Tissue Processors   
>    Stainers  
>    Laboratory Microwave Systems 
>   You can request more information on the available equipment by contacting our office at:
>    
>   Coleman Manufacturing & Design
>   2852 Old Airport Road
>   Winnsboro, SC  29180
>    
>   803.633.2124 office
>   803.635.9401 fax
>   Coleman_Manufacturing@yahoo.com
>    
>    
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 23
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:25:00 -0400
> From: "Richard Cartun" 
> Subject: RE: [Histonet] Patient slide send-out
> To: "Betsy Molinari" ,
> 	
> Message-ID: <44ED706C020000770000187A@gwmail.harthosp.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=US-ASCII
> 
> Today, patients are more educated regarding health care issues and no
> longer settle for what their physician tells them.  Here in the East,
> many patients want their diagnoses confirmed by major cancer centers in
> New York and Boston.  Also, they may be looking for alternative
> treatments.
> 
> Richard
> 
> Richard W. Cartun, Ph.D.
> Director, Immunopathology & Histology
> Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
> Hartford Hospital
> 80 Seymour Street
> Hartford, CT  06102
> (860) 545-1596
> (860) 545-0174 Fax
> 
> 
>>>>"Molinari, Betsy"  08/23/06 6:37 AM
>>>>
> 
> Just curious..why this increase in patients asking for a second
> opinion?
> 
> Betsy Molinari HT (ASCP)
> Texas Heart Institute
> Cardiovascular Pathology
> 6770 Bertner Ave.
> Houston,TX 77030
> 832-355-6524
> 832-355-6812 (fax)
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu 
> [mailto:histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Zajic
> Kari
> Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 2:05 PM
> To: Richard Cartun; histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu 
> Subject: RE: [Histonet] Patient slide send-out
> 
> Richard, you are not alone! We have also seen an increase in patient
> and
> physician requests for "send-outs". I am not sure of charging, but I
> have made a "send-out" policy for our department that all requests be
> put in writing (scripts for physicians)and faxed,inform the
> patient/office that it will at least be 48 hours before it can be sent
> out, they must provide a shipping service account (FEDEX, UPS) or
> physically pick up the slides. We have also been being charged for
> these
> consults by the other facility so we also inform them that if the
> insurance cannot be charged, they are responsible for the bill. It
> seems
> to work but we do run into some problems now and again. If they cannot
> provide an overnight shipping service, we will USPS mail them
> certified
> but that seems to take too long for their liking (here it's around a
> week).
> Not having enough staff to handle the sendouts is always a problem,
> hence the 48 hours..helps slightly.
> 
> Kari :) 
> 
> Kari Marie Zajic HTL,MLT
> Histology Supervisor
> Palms West Hospital
> Pathology Department
> 13001 State Road Eighty
> Loxahatchee, Florida 33470
> phone:      (561)798-6036
> telefax:     (561)753-4298
> voicemail: (561)753-4299
> pager:       (561)610-4949
> email: Kari.Zajic@HCAHealthcare.com 
> 
> This email and any files transmitted with it may contain PRIVILEGED or
> CONFIDENTIAL
> information and may be read or used only by the intended recipient. If
> you are not the intended recipient of the email or any of its
> attachment, please be advised that you have received this email in
> error
> and that any use, dissemination, distribution, forwarding, printing,
> or
> copying of this email or any attached files is strictly prohibited. If
> you have received this email in error, please immediately purge it and
> all attachments and notify the sender by reply email or contact the
> sender at the number listed.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu 
> [mailto:histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu]On Behalf Of Richard
> Cartun
> Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 2:49 PM
> To: histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu 
> Subject: [Histonet] Patient slide send-out
> 
> 
> Our Anatomic Pathology Office is overwhelmed with requests from
> patients
> asking for their pathology slides to be sent to another medical
> institution (for second opinion, additional surgery or therapy, etc.).
> 
> Is it legal to charge patients for this service?  We don't have the
> personnel to handle these requests in a timely fashion and we can no
> longer afford to "eat" the shipping costs.  Thank you.
> 
> Richard
> 
> Richard W. Cartun, Ph.D.
> Director, Immunopathology & Histology
> Assistant Director, Anatomic Pathology
> Hartford Hospital
> 80 Seymour Street
> Hartford, CT  06102
> (860) 545-1596
> (860) 545-0174 Fax
> 
> 
>                                         
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu 
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu 
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu 
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> 
>                                         
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 24
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:02:11 -0500
> From: "Horn, Hazel V" 
> Subject: RE: [Histonet] Disposal of surgical specimens
> To: "Rene J Buesa" , "Linda Stirpe"
> 	,	"HistoNet Server" 
> Message-ID:
> 	<9AE8AA9E1F644B4AA6C155FB6FD51C630ACB6D53@EMAIL.archildrens.org>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
> 
> We pour the formalin off of the specimens.   The specimens are discarded and hauled off by the waste company.   The spent formalin is also taken by another waste company for disposal.   It's a pain.
> 
> Hazel Horn
> Hazel Horn, HT/HTL (ASCP)
> Supervisor of Histology
> Arkansas Children's Hospital
> 800 Marshall    Slot 820
> Little Rock, AR   72202
> 
> phone   501.364.4240
> fax        501.364.3912
> 
> visit us on the web at:    www.archildrens.org
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rene J Buesa
> Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 1:54 PM
> To: Linda Stirpe; HistoNet Server
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] Disposal of surgical specimens
> 
> Linda:
>   We used to separate formalin from the tissue. Formalin was placed in large drums to be hauled away by a company we contracted. The tissues were incinerated at the hospital (something that probably you will not be able to do). Otherwise the tissue should be handled as any other biohazard sample within the lab.
>   Hope this will help you!
>   RenÚ J.
> 
> Linda Stirpe  wrote:
>   I know this subject has been previously discussed but
> now it has become an issue at our facility. We are a
> small hospital processing about 5,000 surgicals/year. 
> Currently, we dispose of the specimens with fixative
> by placing them in biohazard containers and then 
> hauled off site. The safety committee now has concerns
> that the specimen is a biohazard and the formain is a
> hazardous waste and should be separated for disposal
> purposes. We are interested in how other hospitals
> handle this. Any suggestions would be greatly
> appreciated. Thank you!
> 
> Linda Stirpe, HT(ASCP)
> Corning Hospital
> Corning, NY 
> 
> 
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
> http://mail.yahoo.com 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> 
> 
> 
>  				
> ---------------------------------
> Want to be your own boss? Learn how on  Yahoo! Small Business. 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> 
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you. 
> ==============================================================================
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 25
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:09:13 -0600
> From: Gayle Callis 
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] F4/80
> To: "Helen Beard" ,
> 	Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Message-ID:
> 	<6.0.0.22.1.20060824090747.01b39ca0@gemini.msu.montana.edu>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
> 
> This has been answered on Histonet several times, just go to Archives and 
> type in F4/80.  Barb Wright is one who has given good info on using this 
> antibody from Serotec.  There will be other excellent replies also.
> 
> At 02:18 AM 8/24/2006, you wrote:
> 
> 
>>  I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has used Sertec F4/80
>>  to  do  IHC  for   microglia  in pfa fixed mouse brains. I have lovely
>>  staining  in  my  kupfer  cells  (control)  but  only staining of what
>>  appears  to  be  neurones  in  the  brain. A protocol would be greatly
>>  appreciated.
>>
>>  Thanks in advance
>>
>>  Helen
>>_______________________________________________
>>Histonet mailing list
>>Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>>http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> 
> Gayle Callis
> MT,HT,HTL(ASCP)
> Research Histopathology Supervisor
> Veterinary Molecular Biology
> Montana State University - Bozeman
> PO Box 173610
> Bozeman MT 59717-3610
> 406 994-6367
> 406 994-4303 (FAX)
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 26
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:01:40 -0500
> From: "Jes Strong" 
> Subject: RE: [Histonet] Refurbished instruments with CMD
> To: 
> Message-ID: <003001c6c796$96c2abc0$0200a8c0@Jes>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
> 
> This guy just doesn't quit! I would hope that all Histonetters would boycott
> supporting his company until he stops his blatant misuse of the Histonet for
> personal marketing purposes. There are many very good companies out there
> that respect the intent of the Histonet and can provide you with quality
> products at competitive prices.
> 
> Jes Strong
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> [mailto:histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Coleman
> Manufacturing
> Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:19 AM
> To: histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Subject: [Histonet] Refurbished instruments with CMD
> 
> Tto provide every laboratory and hospital with the opportunity to enjoy the
> many benefits of our products, CMD is delighted to offer factory-refurbished
> instruments at significantly discounted prices. All of these instruments are
> backed by a full one-year parts and service warranty. Offer subject to
> availability. 
> 
> Equipment of the following types:     
>    Cover Slippers    
>    Cryostats   
>    Microtomes   
>    Embedding centers  
>    Tissue Processors   
>    Stainers  
>    Laboratory Microwave Systems 
>   You can request more information on the available equipment by contacting
> our office at:
>    
>   Coleman Manufacturing & Design
>   2852 Old Airport Road
>   Winnsboro, SC  29180
>    
>   803.633.2124 office
>   803.635.9401 fax
>   Coleman_Manufacturing@yahoo.com
>    
>    
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> Message: 27
> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 09:05:32 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Rene J Buesa 
> Subject: Re: [Histonet] Cost of consumables
> To: tncperfect2@comcast.net, histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> Message-ID: <20060824160532.39614.qmail@web61212.mail.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
> 
> Carolyn:
>   I just finished a paper on costs that I am sending you under separate cover.
>   The cost are per unit, just multiply them by your needs.
>   RenÚ J.
> 
> tncperfect2@comcast.net wrote:
>   Hi Histonetters.
> I need to know how much managers are spending on consumables that deal with 1000 or more specimens a month...give or take a few dollars? I just need a ball park figure for now. We do just the H&E routine stain.
> If anyone can help me it would be very much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Carolyn
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> 
> 
> 
>  				
> ---------------------------------
> Do you Yahoo!?
>  Get on board. You're invited to try the new Yahoo! Mail Beta.
> 
> ------------------------------
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> End of Histonet Digest, Vol 33, Issue 30
> ****************************************

-- 
Melissa R. Mazan, DVM, Diplomate ACVIM
Associate Professor of Large Animal Medicine
Director of Sports Medicine
Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
Tufts University
200 Westborough Road
North Grafton, MA 01536
Tel: 508-839-5395
Fax: 508-839-7922
Email: melissa.mazan@tufts.edu


_______________________________________________
Histonet mailing list
Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet


<< Previous Message | Next Message >>