Re: Bouin's in the microwave
Speaking from experience the formaldehyde fumes are a problem. I was in a
hurry and heated the Bouins in the microwave and just about keeled over when
I opened the door after heating. The formaldehyde fumes were overpowering.
I had difficulty breathing and my eyes were burning.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Johnson, Teri"
To: "Histonet (E-mail)"
Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 7:30 AM
Subject: Re: Bouin's in the microwave
> My concern with Bouin's in the microwave are two-fold. I think the
buildup of formalin vapors in the microwave is more a safety concern than
the picric acid. If you do this, make sure your microwave is properly
vented. The other issue concerns boil
> over. The stuff just doesn't wash off the inside of the microwave.
Placing the plastic coplin jar in a plastic ziplock bag before microwaving
should address both these concerns. After microwaving, move the jar and bag
to a fume hood for handling.
> Teri Johnson
> Managing Director Histology Core Facility
> Stowers Institute for Medical Research
> 1000 E. 50th St.
> Kansas City, Missouri 64110
<< Previous Message | Next Message >>