RE: [Histonet] Microwave Processing (Egg)

From:"Kemlo Rogerson"

We put our boiled eggs into vinegar to preserve them. Nothing better
than pickled eggs with a nice pint of Marstons Pedigree.

Anyone cut sections on a pickled egg? Is cellular detail preserved by
the acetic acid or do the egg cells swell?

Mr Kemlo Rogerson MSc DMS MIBiol CBiol FIBMS
Tel: 0208 970 8414
Mob: 07830 196072 
Mobile E-Mail kemlorogerson@3mail.com                     
FAX & Answer Phone 0871 242 8094
E-mail Accounts:  
             kemlo@tiscali.co.uk or 
             kemlo1@btinternet.com 
Disclaimer: The information contained in this message and/or any
attachments(s) may be of a private and confidential nature, and is
intended solely for the attention of the addressee. If you have received
this message in error or feel you should not have been the intended
recipient, please return it and any attachments to the sender
immediately. All messages relating to this communication should then be
deleted from your system. Unauthorised usage, copying, disclosure or
alteration of this message and/or attachment(s) is strictly prohibited.
Barking, Havering and Redbridge Hospitals NHS Trust will not be held
responsible for any direct or indirect damages which may arise from
alteration of this message or any attachment(s), by a third party or
resulting from the transmission of a virus.
 
 
 
 
 

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of John
Kiernan
Sent: 22 April 2004 04:24
To: Kemlo Rogerson
Cc: 'Steven E. Slap'; histonet@pathology.swmed.edu; 'Marshall Terry
Dr,Consultant Histopathologist'
Subject: Re: [Histonet] Microwave Processing (Egg)

No!

The egg is stable for weeks, especially if
refrigerated. Boiling an egg solidifies the
proteins, especially the albumen (white).
This makes the egg easier to eat than the
liquid contents of a broken raw egg. Cooking
has enabled us humans to collect all the
fat and protein from the eggs we take from
birds. 

Fixation means preserving structural detail 
for microscopy. Heat alone will not do that.

John Kiernan
London, Canada.
_____________________
Kemlo Rogerson wrote:
> 
> Um....... A boiled egg is stabilized but not fixed; does that help? A
> fixative is designed not only to stabilize proteins by coagulation,
but
> in most cases it links chemically to the proteins. Its job is also
that
> of preventing putrefaction both by endogenous and exogenous means
> (lysosomes and bugs). A boiled egg will rot by putrefaction, but if
you
> fixed it, then it wouldn't; would it? Heat stabilizes by coagulating
> protein doesn't it, formalin forms links between reactive sites on the
> proteins, doesn't it?
> 
> Am I talking a load of...........
> 
> Mr Kemlo Rogerson MSc DMS MIBiol CBiol FIBMS
> Tel: 0208 970 8414
> Mob: 07830 196072
> Mobile E-Mail kemlorogerson@3mail.com
> FAX & Answer Phone 0871 242 8094
> E-mail Accounts:
>              kemlo@tiscali.co.uk or
>              kemlo1@btinternet.com
> Disclaimer: The information contained in this message and/or any
> attachments(s) may be of a private and confidential nature, and is
> intended solely for the attention of the addressee. If you have
received
> this message in error or feel you should not have been the intended
> recipient, please return it and any attachments to the sender
> immediately. All messages relating to this communication should then
be
> deleted from your system. Unauthorised usage, copying, disclosure or
> alteration of this message and/or attachment(s) is strictly
prohibited.
> Barking, Havering and Redbridge Hospitals NHS Trust will not be held
> responsible for any direct or indirect damages which may arise from
> alteration of this message or any attachment(s), by a third party or
> resulting from the transmission of a virus.
 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> [mailto:histonet-bounces@lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of
Marshall
> Terry Dr,Consultant Histopathologist
> Sent: 21 April 2004 12:48
> To: Steven E. Slap; kevin williams; histonet@pathology.swmed.edu
> Subject: RE: [Histonet] Microwave Processing
> 
> My confusion has not been dispelled.
> 
> Steven writes:
> 
> "The saline will not work
> alone as a fixation step, except in the case of
> very small biopsies (as written up in an article
> by Tony Leong)- ..."
> 
> In the next post, we get:
> 
> "Yes, in the Leong method for biopsies, the specimens are heat
> stabilized in the microwave in saline, and not really chemically
> fixed.  They get fixed in the ethanol in a traditional processor ..."
> 
> These statements are mutually incompatible.
> 
> Moreover, what is the difference between "stabilisation" and
"fixation".
> 
> A further muddle is introduced by:
> 
> "not really chemically fixed."
> 
> Well, hell, are they fixed or no? Heat fixation is fixation - who
cares
> whether chemically fixed?
> 
> Of course, the major problem is that mechanisms of fixation are varied
> (with the fixative) and not well understood.
> (Speak for yourself do I hear someone say?)
> 
> Dr Terry L Marshall, B.A.(Law), M.B.,Ch.B.,F.R.C.Path
>  Consultant Pathologist
>  Rotherham General Hospital
>  South Yorkshire
>  England
>         terry.marshall@rothgen.nhs.uk
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Steven E. Slap [mailto:siksik03@comcast.net]
> Sent: 17 April 2004 22:54
> To: Marshall Terry Dr, Consultant Histopathologist; kevin williams;
> histonet@pathology.swmed.edu
> Subject: RE: [Histonet] Microwave Processing
> 
> Hi Terry & HistoNetters
> 
> I have done lots of successful large organ
> stabilization in saline at 65C for 20-35 minutes
> (depending on the size of the organ.  However, it
> is important to emphasize that the purpose of
> this step usually is to firm up the tissue so
> that it can be subsequently cut up into thinner
> pieces for processing, which must include a
> fixation step, either in the microwave or on a
> conventional processor, in formalin or some
> non-formalin fixative.  The saline will not work
> alone as a fixation step, except in the case of
> very small biopsies (as written up in an article
> by Tony Leong)-  a procedure I have not tried
> myself.
> 
> best regards,
> Steven Slap
> Microwave Consultant
> 
> At 3:58 PM +0100 4/16/04, Marshall Terry Dr,
>         Consultant Histopathologist wrote:
> >Sorry to but in - but on a related question -
> >does anyone do microwave fixation in saline as
> >described by for instance the Melbourne group,
> >which involves bringing up to 65C in saline?
> >Have tried it this week and the sections are even crummier than
usual.
> >When I was in Tasmania, a local private lab. did
> >it and their sections were fine.
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Histonet mailing list
> Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
> http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet

_______________________________________________
Histonet mailing list
Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet



_______________________________________________
Histonet mailing list
Histonet@lists.utsouthwestern.edu
http://lists.utsouthwestern.edu/mailman/listinfo/histonet


<< Previous Message | Next Message >>