RE: Ponceau


Doing a search using Google turns up many references (9090) including the
word ponceau. French papers using the word translate as culvert or bright
red. Ponceau appears to be an english adaption of the french word. (I guess
that culverts were originally made from red clay.)

There are several french language sites which use the word and all seem to
refer to drainage culverts of one type or another.

There were also a number of scientists with this name so it is possible that
one of these formulated the dye originally.

I don't know if that helps or confuses..........

Richard Powell

-----Original Message-----
From: Laurie Reilly []
Sent: Wednesday, 17 April 2002 9:13 AM
Subject: Ponceau

Bob Richmond mentioned Ponceau dye. Does anyone know the derivation and/or
meaning of this word? A French  research fellow who was in my lab the other
day had not heard of that word.

                Regards,  Laurie.

Mr.Laurie Reilly                                              Ph 07 4781
Physiology & Pharmacology                           Fax  07 4779  1526
Aust.Inst.of Tropical Vet.& Animal Sc.
James Cook University
Townsville  Qld.


<< Previous Message | Next Message >>